POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : some asteroids (from Paul Bourke) [122kb JPG] : Re: some cratering using your idea [18kb JPG] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some cratering using your idea [18kb JPG]
From: Tek
Date: 17 Jul 2005 16:10:42
Message: <42dabb42@news.povray.org>
I've always preferred using an inverted granite pattern for a more
natural looking heavily cratered surface, though it doesn't give any
distinct individual craters, so maybe you could combine the two
techniques. Anyway here's a quick example (this is the entire source file!):

//moon
light_source { <-1,1,-1>*1000, rgb 1 }

sphere {
	z*3, 1
	pigment { rgb 1 }
	finish { diffuse 1 ambient 0 }
	normal {
		pigment_pattern { granite } -.2
		accuracy 1/5000
	}
}

Tek

Bob Hughes wrote:
> "Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
>
>>Also I think it looks better, or at least closer to your example, with
>>poly_wave set between 1 and 4.
>

> I've tried it with poly_wave 1.8 and I see what you are saying about that.
>

>>Yes Slow. My example rendered -aa in about 5 minutes.
>

> It isn't slow enough to matter, I guess, if doing mainly a cratered
> planetoid anyway. In fact, I've tried it with 50 iterations for the first
> loop and 25 for the second and using default AA it was 3 minutes 50 seconds
> (on a 2GHz CPU here) to do the attached image.
>

>>That you would use the idea or something similar to augment your texture
>>was what I was thinking.  With a little less random, but rather more
>>judicious application, you might get faster times and better effects.
>

> I changed the average value to be rand(S), too, so it could have old and
> young craters mixed together. I'm thinking that to use this appropriately on
> irregular shapes, like those asteroids, it might be a good idea to try and
> match the surface normal using trace in some way. Something to think about
> anyhow, not sure I'll ever get around to it though.
>
> Thanks a bunch for sharing this other way Jim.
>
> Bob Hughes

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'moon.jpg' (39 KB)